Using Aboriginal Symbols to make patterns in Maths.
Introduction and warm up:
- Ask: What do you know about patterns? Turn to your partner and explain to your partner what you know about patterns. ~Give students a minute to explain patterns~
- Discuss with class some of their answers.
- Give an explanation of the meaning of a pattern . eg: Patterns can be made from numbers or pictures. Each pattern is made up of a rule. eg: continued pattern using pictures chosen.
- Watch short video on Aboriginal symbols by TIPIAC.
- Students cut and paste Aboriginal symbols and make patterns in their books. (Early finishers or extension activity ~ Ask students to come up with their own symbols and make a pattern using them)
- Share patterns and discuss some of the rules to finish the lesson.
~7 minute short film for children on using Aboriginal symbols to make patterns in maths~
Would love to see some pics of your students work, could be anonymous. =) Post below in the comments for this blog or on Facebook.